Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Wedding 2013-W22

If you read last week's blog early, then you should scroll down and see the finished painting.  I posted it on Wednesday.  Now, with that out of the way, on to today's painterly thoughts...

Last evening I attended the wedding of an old friend from college.  As often happens, we had drifted apart in the intervening years until the miracle of the internet put us back in touch sometime during the late days of the Dubya.Bush era.  It really boggles the mind that in the modern era, we have the potential on any day to see any living person on the planet.  I can't imagine what it must have been like a century or so ago when parents saw their children head off to make a life in the "new" world, knowing that probably never again would they see one another.

I guess the downsides are that so many voices now compete for our increasingly fragmented attention, and it takes a real effort to hide!  Computer, cell phones, social media sites and all them apps — wonderful inventions and fantastic tools.  But as I often remind myself and my friends: they work for you, not the other way around.

And now that I've set aside two chunks of time each week for painting, you can expect me not to return texts promptly on Tuesday evening as well as Saturday mornings!  I finished the dog series on Tuesday and wasn't quite ready to begin some of my summer plans this morning.  So today I'll offer this, the first in an intermittent series for those occasions in the coming months where I have nothing better to do.  I'll reveal more about the series in next week's blog.



WCA:  Miss Porter's (Very) Ancient

No comments:

Post a Comment