Saturday, February 9, 2013

I've Got My Glove to Keep Me Warm 2013-W06

Seems like snow is turning into a regular feature this February, but not too much, not too heavy, and not too cold or windy.  (Not like our neighbors in New England.  Hope your people are all okay.)  Shoveling has been almost pleasant — and it's fostered opportunities to take in fresh air and visit with neighborly folks we haven't seen in a while.  Our block lost a parkway tree to the Emerald Ash Borer this week, and otherwise not much is happening here in Ravenswood.  And maybe that's how we like it.

The prospect of snow removal forced me to hunt around for a pair of serious gloves.  Not the flimsy pair I have for dashing to the car and gripping the icy steering wheel.  Not the next pair up, suited to walking errands within my 2-block radius of commerce.  I required the 45-minutes-of-shoveling, hard core pair and naturally I could only find one.  I'm certain its twin will materialize on or around May 8th, when we're virtually certain no more snow is coming.  Just plenty of very cold rain.

In the end, necessity was the mother of invention and I discovered that the flimsy gloves worn inside the errand gloves made a cocoon so warm and cozy, my hands felt overheated.  Of course in February, too hot is a real treat so I suffered it joyfully.  All this being in snow got me to recall a moonlight snowscape I've been meaning to paint, and voilà...



Lovely, Dark and Deep


p.s. I originally posted an over-corrected photo, way too bright.  The new, more accurate version better justifies its title.

Less Dark and Deep

No comments:

Post a Comment