Saturday, July 6, 2013

Not in Orange 2013-W27

Hello, hope you had a fantastic Canada Day or Independence Day or just any one excellent day this week, as applicable.  To my surprise, I got to enjoy our Chicago fireworks from the best open air "box seats" possible for the event.  That was a fun finish to my full week of festivals and et cetera.

Changing topics, back in Week 20 I wrote about my intention to burn off some orange paint...  the plan was to make a portrait of my friend Donna, but then I changed my mind at the last minute and did a quick sketch of Gustave Caillebotte instead.  And I used 0% orange to paint that one.

I felt Donna had gotten cheated though, so I forged ahead with her portrait this week.  It has plenty of orange paint but not in an overt way.  What came off the brush ended up much more illustrative than what I imagined at the start.  (P.S. I took liberties with her clothes and jewelry, the result being a little more Clintonian than Donna.)  I have warned her I might do another version, much less conventionally, now that I have a "safe" one in the bank.

In the meantime, here she is — a Woman of a Certain Age who is a defier, not a denier.  She is in Europe right now following Bruce Springsteen to a couple of his concerts.  Thus I'm pretty sure that by comparison with The Boss, the painting will not rock her world.  But I hope she and you all enjoy it moderately.



WCA:  Donna of Jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment