Saturday, June 14, 2014

Jerry's Pond 2014-W24

In honor of Father's Day, I thought a reprise was in order for something I originally posted in 2012 on the Salon deWinchester blog.  My brother now owns the original; you can see the series it inspired in a dedicated section of My Gallery.

*  *  *  *  *

I never sang (much) for my father.  I sing badly — so like anyone, he was grateful to be spared.  But I did get a chance to paint for him.

One day my eye was drawn to a vivid scarlet dragonfly at rest on one of Dad's pond plants; the ensuing photograph inspired a series of paintings in 2009.  Later that year, I relocated to Texas to help out with Dad's cancer therapies and I brought those paintings with me.  He really liked one in particular, so I framed it for what turned out to have been his last birthday.

Ten months later, Dad passed... peacefully, in his sleep, in his own bed, right before our very first Salon.  Consequently, he never got to see any Salon art.  But I thought that on this Father's Day, wherever his spirit may be, Dad might smile to see his pond painting take the place of pride as our Classic offering.  I hope you enjoy it as he did.



Jerry's Pond

No comments:

Post a Comment