Saturday, September 15, 2012

2012-W37: the year 2012, week 37.

Hi all, and a special hello to click-over guests from the Salon deWinchester blog.  Which is probably everyone.  In case you ever wondered about the strange element in the Salon blog titles, my title here today should reveal all.  And speaking of reveals, in a moment I will reveal more about today's painting.  Plus, if you read the posting below from Sunday, September 9th, the founding principles of the Painterly Thoughts blog will also be revealed.  So see, the Bible isn't the only source for Revelation(s) today.  Meanwhile, on with today's thoughts.

I have two brilliant nephews, both in grade school and both living a solid 1,000 miles away.  This year, one of my New Year resolutions was to stimulate more frequent interaction with both and so I schemed.  For the younger nephew, I came up with a pretty good game.  Like any good game, there is ultimately a prize to be won.

But to win the prize, he must solve a riddle.  And to solve the riddle, he must assemble a puzzle.  But the puzzle is a wicked rebus.  I've shown it to six adults and only one got the tricky part.  Happily, the boy has smart parents (with smarter friends) and, just in case, I have a clue or two ready.  I feel optimistic they will ultimately triumph.  Don't feel excluded...  you'll get a crack at solving the puzzle and seeing the answer in future posts.

To gain pieces of the puzzle, my nephew has to mail back fill-in-the-blank postcards I send him.  Hence, I needed cards to enclose and mail postcards & puzzle pieces, which I painted as needed.  In My Gallery (Awesome Link, look left), these cards include the Berber and the skull ring.  And now today's painting of a Draco flying lizard—one of his current interests.  Well, as you know, little boys are made of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails.

Nowadays, allegedly, he sends postcards he writes himself.  Very sporadically.  Thus I accept the scarce phone call in lieu.  And even though my puzzle and other resolution schemes haven't garnered much success, I still think myself fortunate to have two nephews who remind me of the small moments in a mostly idyllic childhood I shared with my two brothers.

And with that thought, please pause to bookmark this blog page and then proceed to enjoy the painting.


Draco in Flight



No comments:

Post a Comment