Saturday, September 29, 2012

Yard Sale 2012-W39


Today, sadly, I'm doing a lot less painting and a lot more panting than usual as I run back and forth between the basement and my yard sale table out on the parkway.  Time will tell how many of my surplus possessions can be foisted on the public and converted to cash.  But I know this.  Unlike last year, not one bit of that inventory is moving back into the basement for another year.  OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!~  so to speak.

Moving on, the "painting" below is a pen and ink drawing with (water)color pencil, from this year's summer solstice sketch party.  Pleasant although not distinguished; but there is a back-story.  While getting my party kit ready, I pulled a seldom-seen fountain pen from the place where I keep that sort of thing and filled it with some fancy black ink from France.  Ooh la la.  The prior ink was red and I figured "black trumps red" so I couldn't be bothered to clean the pen first.

My Plan A called for some watercolor washes over ink drawings.  Fortunately I had the foresight to do a little test...  on the scrap paper I'd used to start the newly filled pen flowing, I washed over the ink scribbles with plain water.  At least, it started out plain — it turns out your mother and Ben Franklin were right:  Haste makes Waste.   The still-present and soluble red ink swam out of the mix and bathed the steadfast black scribbles in a cherry pink glow.  Thus for the party I had to scuttle Plan A washes and activate Plan B.  Some weeks later, I exhausted the hybrid ink and, lesson learned, I duly cleaned the pen prior to the refill.

So, speaking of black ink, I wouldn't mind being it it at the end of the sale today!  Please excuse the implied pun and enjoy the drawing nonetheless.

p.s.  In order to procrastinate getting things ready for the yard sale, I revamped My Gallery.  Check it out!


Where'd that Cradle Go?!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment