Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fear of Art, episode one 2012-W40

More precisely, fear of making art.  Many if not most artists at times struggle with the question "what next"?  Or possibly, "which next"?  Famine or feast; too many ideas or none at all.  I like to do series of paintings, whether thematic or in a particular genre, so my problem is normally "which" not "what".

Lately, which portrait?  But however, I feel I'm at a point where I should stop doing portraits for a while.  Maybe change genres to work on some landscapes.  Is that feeling down to the influence of Autumn's spectacular array of fleeting color?  Or merely a diversion?  Another way to avoid the vague and scary prospect of wading into non-representational art.  Could be a little of both.

While I sort through that, I have a few pent up landscapes in my "which" pile, including a pastel over watercolor effort I started in March of 2011.  Egad.  I'll target that one for the first "independent" Painterly Thoughts blog on October 27th — by which time the Salon deWinchester blog postings will have become occasional.

Meanwhile, here is the landscape I made in Salon today while having fun with friends.  Enjoy!


Rollin' the Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment