Saturday, November 17, 2012

Big Shoulders 2012-W46

Last Sunday, Veteran's Day, I phoned my mother.  As usual for a Sunday — but also because Mom is a veteran of the Korean War.  She achieved the rank of Seaman 1st Class and so half seriously / half teasingly, I thank her for her service to our country.  You see, my parents met while serving together in the Navy Hospital Corps, so as far as that service goes I have much to be grateful for personally.

In Britain, it is Remembrance Day and they mark it with the red poppy badges that we favor for Memorial Day.  Or used to do, anyway.  And as we might expect, some yob over there burnt a poppy and posted a picture on his facebook account.  For which he was arrested.

Subjects of Her Majesty do not enjoy the constitutional protection of Free Speech as do we.  In reading various observations about the disrespectful act as well as the ensuing violation of the actor's civil liberties, I came across this comment from Fiona of London.  I don't know her, only that she is a wise and eloquent woman.  Here is her remark in its entirety.
I abhor that someone should burn a poppy, but to be able to do so is exactly what these brave young men died fighting for. We should all treat it with the contempt it deserves, but I honestly believe that our brave fallen have bigger shoulders.
I can't add to that, except to say thank you to all who have bravely served our country.  Cue the painting...


De- & Re- jected
 

No comments:

Post a Comment