Monday, December 31, 2012

Best of 2012

For many, today is a time for reflection on the year just ending and contemplation of our aspirations for the year about to begin.  And as with our twin blog, the Salon deWinchester showcases, I reflected on what were some of my better or most favorite works of the past year.  (Also check out the Salon "Best Of" post, via AWESOME LINKS.)   Since the Painterly Thoughts blog began in September, I decided to pick my Best Of's from the months beforehand.  My intention was to limit it to three.  We'll see how I do.     

These two chuckleheads were from my Blowhards series, inspired by the four winds of Greek mythology and my 2011 Faces of Evil series.  The ever angry pig, Mr. Limbaugh, needs no introduction but our other blowhard stumped a lot of people...  he's the unhinged, uninformed Glenn Beck.


Stupidoofus, Blowhard of the West
Porcusiratus, Blowhard of the East



My series, the Three Madgi, was a pun-ly trio of Madge the Manicurist of Palmolive advertising fame, Madonna "Madge" the ever more frightening megastar, and Her Maj-esty, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.  If I had thought about it, I probably should have felt intimidated by the thought of painting the Most Depicted Woman of All Time.  But that only occurred to me later so I think I got a pretty good result for two and a half hours of painting time.  My chief regret is that I didn't take more time to render all those diamonds a little better.


Her Maj...  Glorious!!



Finally, I can't say this last selection is a very good painting but:  who doesn't like tulips, and I always enjoy looking at it.  I hope you do, too — and with that, we're done except for me wishing you all a healthy, prosperous, and Happy New Year!


Tulip Bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment