Saturday, March 2, 2013

Better Never than Late 2013-W09

Evidently my comment a few weeks back about our very tolerable winter snow experience has triggered the jinx effect.  Lately we've enjoyed a handful of snow storms and I've gotten well acquainted with my brand new shovels.  This week's big storm had plenty of gusto left in it after having walloped Amarillo, and here it laid down half a foot of "heart attack" snow.  Wicked.  I don't know why I find these storms more hateful on the brink of March than in January, but I say when it comes to snow:  better never than late.  On the brighter side, perhaps it took some edge off our regional drought.

Although providing plenty of exercise and tedium, these storms didn't furnish much in the way of picturesque inspiration for my second go at Propuesta 5, a creative exercise on painting "atmospheres" in the meteorological sense of the word.  But after digging around I found some suitable reference and then set to the task of translating the exercise.  (For as you may recall the book containing it is written in Spanish.  Ay carumba!)  My Spanish is a little rusty, but serviceable; on the other hand, the only thing I can reliably remember how to say in Russian is лучше поздно, чем никогда —that is, "better late than never".  I'm not sure that qualifies as irony, but regardless it closes this week's blog... please enjoy Propuesta 5, second interpretation.



La Tormenta

No comments:

Post a Comment