Saturday, March 9, 2013

How's that Again? 2013-W10

Today at Salon deWinchester I got around to painting something left over from last fall's "maybe" pile.  My young friend Luca (potrayed in My Gallery, Luca Laughs) was working on his presentation about China to the 2nd grade.  I made him a painting of the national bird of China (further down in the gallery) but I skipped the national flower.  If you peeked below, no prize for guessing it's the peony... one of my favorite garden blooms.

Many years ago, I consulted on a project down in Montgomery, Alabama, y'all.  It made for a novel and interesting life experience, plus while it lasted this yankee made a point of frequently eating some of the best fried chicken ever.  Another team member had been sent down from Arkansas — one of those lovely southern ladies who spoke in a honey dipped drawl.  Early on, she commented on how she missed being home because her payOHnees were blooming.

I had never heard of these, or so I thought until it dawned on me she was talking about peonies.  Her way of saying the word was so odd.  And infectious.  For a while there, I said the word as she did, with the funny front vowel and accent on the middle syllable.  Fortunately that did not last!  I had forgotten all about payonees until today as I was painting, and the memory brought a smile to my face.  And now you know the thought behind the title of my painting today.  Enjoy!



Payonee Resplendent

No comments:

Post a Comment