Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bleak Friday 2013-W48

Yesterday I read news of a mobster being fed to pigs by a rival gang.  Not sure when.  Being that they're animals, the pigs devoured him alive, undeterred by his shrieks (while they lasted).  Sorry for the horrifying imagery.  I also read the usual and customary stories about Black Friday shoppers and their behaviors.  Which reminded me of the first story, the one with the pigs.  Except I think the pigs come off a little better, especially as compared with one disgusting shopper I read about.

I struggled with whether and how to relate her story.  In brief, she ate a very hearty dinner on Thursday but must have forgotten that what goes in must eventually come out.  Thus early on Friday, while her part of the checkout line was still all the way back in Large Appliances, she needed to use the restroom.  Unwilling to lose her place in line, she used the clothes dryer next to her to evacuate her bowels.  That's correct.  P**ped.  Right there in the store, while in line, in a dryer.

A decade ago, the Black Friday phenomenon was a curiosity.  A relatively harmless freak show that I felt one should avoid witnessing first hand.  But in recent years, as the hype ratchets ever higher and behaviors become more extreme, Black Friday has become for me (and many) a disgusting spectacle that shows the worse side of humanity and our consumer culture.

The biggest irony is, almost none of the Black Friday "sales" are true bargains.  Retailers merely jack up the original price.  You end up paying the same amount that you paid a decade ago, but you've been tricked into believing you "saved" more.  Think about that while you struggle with the traffic and the crowds and the craziness and wait in line to buy yet another thing.  Wouldn't it be great if, instead of giving someone yet another thing, you found a way to give them a wonderful experience to remember?

Ah well, sorry for some of the images this posting may have conjured up for you today.  Let's cleanse your brain with this adorable kitten in a sock.  While you enjoy that, I'm not sure how I'll spend the rest of today...  I finished my Christmas shopping two days before Thanksgiving!



Kittybauble




No comments:

Post a Comment