Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring It ON 2014-W13

Don't get me wrong, it's been above freezing and very melty lately.  All good, even though everywhere looks wet and dirty.  (Snow cover has one thing to be said for it.)   On Sunday, Chicago expects the warmest weather in months and the citizenry stands ready.  Us who live on the lakefront cannot know beforehand whether we will participate.  The price of a chilly spring is what we exchange for our cooler summers and warmer winters.  Great deal, but now the bill comes due.  A good westerly wind can grant a reprieve though, so please cross your fingers on our behalf!

Last week while writing the blog I wasn't enthused by that day's painting.  Since then I've come to enjoy its quirky enthusiasm.  Maybe there will be a fourth or fifth in that Mrs. Black series.  And speaking of new series (as we now are) I've begun one.  Perhaps two, but first things first.  Scottish I am, and therefore mad for plaid.  Tartans, actually, but that doesn't rhyme so well.  What I painted couldn't qualify as tartan regardless, so plaid is is.  Through the plaid series I look forward to exploring color and value effects on rectilinear subdivision of plane space.  For you, I just hope they look pretty in the way that stained glass can do.  I'll leave you in suspense concerning new series two, but not for long.  There's also a p.s. with two additional fun facts on the plaid thing.  And hey, thanks for stopping by!  I appreciate it.



Mad for Plaid II


p.s.  in my introductory watercolor class way back when, the first homework assignment was to paint a plaid using both our brushes and all 7 colors on the palette.  Talk about pressure!  So that was Mad for Plaid I, and who knows where in the archives it lurks.  Fun fact 2:  in Scotland, a plaid is a piece of tartan fabric worn as a sash over the shoulder.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment