Saturday, September 28, 2013

Laugh Already 2013-W39

Thursday night I was watching something or other on PBS when a throw-away line caught my attention.  Technically I guess it was a question:  Isn't it nice to be around someone who laughs easily?  It sure is.  Coincidentally, a couple days prior I was gabbing with one of my long-time friends and we reflected on how the foundation that underlies our friendship is simply that we make each other laugh without much effort.

Maybe this only means he and I are not very discerning about what entertains us.  Maybe we're both a little too clever for our own good.  I can't answer either question objectively.  What I can tell you is I come from a very funny family, so growing up I had lots of opportunities to be entertained as well as take my turn in the spotlight.  It's possible we spent more time at the dinner table laughing than eating...  which may be why in middle age my brothers and I are reasonably fit and trim.

I've often thought that while life presents us many small and occasionally large challenges, it is up to us how we'll react.  Laugh or cry — it's usually your choice.  Tears are wholly appropriate at times, of course, but as much as possible I will choose to try laughing and I invite you to join me.



An Artist, Poised to Laugh


p.s. Thanks to Marge Bolin for her unknowing assistance with today's painting.  I hope she and the unawares subject like it.


1 comment: