Saturday, January 18, 2014

Clunkers 2014-W03

After reflection, I decided that in order to restore balance after the lashings of self-praise in my "best of" posting, I should probably own up to the worst of 2013.  The runner up for the dubious honor is this color study (to the right) for the sketch that I posted last week. 

But the clear winner appears below; it resulted from a directed exercise from a propuesta in Acuarela Creativa.  Thus, I can duck the blame for the original concept.  Nevertheless, when it comes to the resulting "painting" I can't find much to recommend it.



I did not enjoy one iota of its making, save for one of the white daisies.  Undeterred, I later made a second exploration of wet-in-wet poppies (Pavement Poppies in Ravenswood, at left), the result of which was also wanting... although it looks much better when when displayed near 2013's clunker of the year.

Terrible as they may be, these painting help me remember a useful motto:  keep up the bad work.  Eventually, something good will come of it.




Field Poppies


No comments:

Post a Comment