Saturday, August 9, 2014

Dog Watch 2014-W32

You never know what you will learn on any given day.  I thought today's topic would center around my scheme to shift the "usual" posting time a little later in Satur's day.  Maybe 4-ish/5-ish, and that got me to wondering...  how many bells would that be in ship's time?  Because I figured "7 Bells" would make a cool title for the post.

It turns out, ship's time is a little bit interesting and not just due to the crazy bells.  The ship's crew will eat in shifts, some at 5pm and some at 6pm.  The bunch who are on duty from 4-6pm are working the "first dog watch" and they are followed by the (second but called "last") last dog watch.  Henceforth I'll be posting during the first dog watch.

Speaking of the dog watch, very oddly it so happens that today I am literally watching someone's dog AND I'd already begun a painting of said dog when I diverted to learn all about ship's time and the dog watch.  I love it when the universe stitches a common thread through such disconnected cloths.  

If all this wasn't enough to raise your eyebrows just a tad, get this...  I read this morning that our entire universe may in fact be a 
3-dimensional event on the horizon of a 4-dimensional black hole in a 4-dimensional universe.  I wonder what dogs look like there.




Shards of Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment